ann1501 — Announcement
Hubblecast 82: New view of the Pillars of Creation
Revisiting an icon
5 January 2015
The NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope has revisited one of its most iconic and popular images: the Eagle Nebula’s Pillars of Creation.
This time Hubble has not just one image for us, but two: as well as the new visible-light image the telescope used infrared light to produce a second breathtaking picture of the region. Between them these images show the pillars in more detail than ever before.
In this Hubblecast we explore the different ways in which Hubble, and other telescopes, have captured this iconic object.
- Directed by: Georgia Bladon
- Visual design and editing: Martin Kornmesser
- Written by: Georgia Bladon and Nicky Guttridge
- Narration: Sara Mendes da Costa
- Images: NASA, ESA/Hubble and the Hubble Heritage Team, J. Hester and P. Scowen (Arizona State University), ESO, Digitized Sky Survey 2, M. McCaughrean & M. Andersen (AIP)
- Videos: NASA, ESA/Hubble
- Animations: Martin Kornmesser, Luis Calcada, NASA, ESA/Hubble
- Music: Toomas Erm (European Southern Observatory)
- Web and technical support: Mathias Andre and Raquel Yumi Shida
- Executive producer: Lars Lindberg Christensen
Hubble/ESA, Garching, Germany
About the Announcement