Datasets for education and for fun
On the data pages you will find some sets of image files taken of astronomical objects.
Each dataset contains:
- FITS files of the astronomical object taken through different wavelength filters. The name of the file gives an indication of the filter used.
- Composite 16 bit and 8 bit colour image in Photoshop (.psd) format that contains the original exposures in different coloured layers. The 8 bit formats are mainly for users of Photoshop 7.0 and Elements 2.0. The separate layers allow separate manipulation of the individual exposures. The images were imported into Photoshop with the ESA/ESO/NASA Photoshop FITS Liberator.
Note: these psd-files should not in any way be considered the end-product of what can be done with image processing. We simply supply them for your convenience in the unlikely event that you should experience problems using the ESA/ESO/NASA Photoshop FITS Liberator :-)
- A link to any original news releases where more astronomical information about the object can be found.
- The Eagle Nebula
- The Star Forming Nebula - Messier 17
- The Proto Planetary Nebula - Roberts 22
- The Planetary Nebula NGC 5307
- The Planetary Nebula NGC 6309 - Box Nebula
- The Planetary Nebula NGC 6881
- Ultraviolet Venus
- The Galaxy NGC 1068
- The star-forming region N11B
- The Planetary Nebula NGC 6302 - Bug Nebula
- The Dwarf Galaxy NGC 1569
- The Globular Cluster Messier 12
- The Globular Cluster NGC 6652
- The Galaxy Messier 31
- The Open Cluster Messier 35
- The Orion Nebula Messier 42
- The colliding Antennae Galaxies